Suspect in NYC shooting of 13-year-old was out on parol and bail

The man accused of randomly shooting a 13-year-old boy in the Bronx had posted bail in a gun case just months earlier — while also being out on parole for a weapons conviction, according to officials and records.

Hubert Wiggs’ prior arrests were revealed after the chilling Tuesday attack, which NYPD Assistant Chief Kenneth Lehr said “should not have happened.”

“This individual today is on the street while on parole for a firearm, while out on bail for another firearm,” Lehr said Tuesday. “And today he’s walking around the Bronx with a firearm. And we have a 13-year-old boy shot in the neck, and for the grace of God he’s alive here today.”

Wiggs, 36, was awaiting arraignment Wednesday on charges of second-degree murder, assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.

He was muttering unintelligibly as he was walked out of the NYPD’s 47th precinct, following a police interview there.

Wiggs was paroled in July 2015 after being convicted of attempted criminal possession of a weapon and other charges five years earlier, records show.

Then on Feb. 24, 2019, Wiggs was arrested in Manhattan after he was allegedly caught with a loaded .380 semi-automatic handgun and a small amount of PCP in another person’s car, according to court documents obtained by The Post.

He was accused of getting into the driver’s seat of a car in Harlem without permission while a woman and child sat inside, the criminal complaint states.

He was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon as well as unauthorized use of a vehicle and criminal possession of a controlled substance.

His bail was set at $100,000 and posted on June 1. The case is open and pending, with the next court date set for Jan. 18, 2022.

On Tuesday morning, Wiggs was allegedly spotted waving a gun in front of his house near East 223rd Street near Bronxwood Avenue in the Bronx — before he opened fire on the teenager walking toward the subway without saying a word, police said.

The bullet entered and exited his neck without hitting any veins or arteries. A passerby called 911 after he saw the teen disoriented and bleeding, according to cops.

When officers arrived, they found an emotionally disturbed man acting erratically, cops said. A .38 caliber revolver with one spent round was recovered at the scene.

The teen, who was identified as Khamani Garrett, was taken to Jacobi Hospital in stable condition. A hospital source saw the victim and said he was “crying and looked scared” but “he’ll be OK, under the best care.”

NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea posted about the incident on Twitter Tuesday, writing: “1 inch to the side & this is a very different story.”

“I was telling my mom it could have been me because I walk the same way to the train station,” a 12-year-old boy who attends the same school as the victim, told The Post. “He should be safe walking on the street.”